For other uses of Deadpool, see Deadpool (disambiguation)
|Real Name||Wade Winston Wilson|
|Alias(es)|| Weapon XI|
The Merc with a Mouth
Topographical Map of Utah
|Movie|| X-Men Origins: Wolverine|
|Game||X-Men Origins: Wolverine|
|Status|| Unknown (Original Timeline)|
Alive (Revised Timeline)
|Portrayed by|| Ryan Reynolds|
- “Oh hello there. I bet you're wondering why the red suit, well that's so bad guys can't see me bleed.”
Deadpool (Wade Wilson) is a mutant who was part of the team Team X. Due to experimentation he was given mutations of other mutants and was called Weapon XI or Deadpool.
X-Men Origins: Wolverine Prologue
Wade Wilson was a soldier and mercenary with enhanced far beyond human reflexes and agility due to him being a mutant. During the Vietnam War, Wade was a member of a black ops group called Team X under the command of William Stryker. The team also included James "Logan" Howlett, Victor Creed, Christopher Bradley, Agent Zero, John Wraith, and Fred Dukes. He did as his leader ordered when it came to killing people. Stryker said he would be the perfect soldier if it weren't for his loudmouth.
Six years later, after Team X broke up, Wade was captured and taken to Stryker's base at Three Mile Island where he was experimented on for the Weapon XI project. With Sabretooth's help, Stryker gathered and collected the DNA from mutants whose powers could be used collectively within one body without destroying it, with Wade being the host body. By then, Wade was gone, and was now known as Weapon XI, "The Mutant Killer" - Deadpool (as Stryker explained - a "dead" mutant who had other powers "pooled" up into him). Stryker also seals Wade's mouth, gives him an Adamantium skeleton.
Wade, now called Deadpool, was sent to fight Wolverine after Sabretooth was defeated. Dr. Carol Frost said the project was not finished but Stryker said to do it anyway. After freeing the captured mutants, Wolverine is stopped by the now active Weapon XI - Deadpool.
Using Chris Bradley's power, Stryker was able to control him to kill Wolverine. They fight as the other Mutants flee. With the other powers he had from several other mutants (including Cyclops' optic beams, Wolverine's healing power, John Wraith's teleportation, Chris Bradley's technopathy, and Wade's prized blades used as two retractable arm blades) he was ready to fight and kill Wolverine.
Logan faces Weapon XI alone and eventually climbs one of the nuclear reactors, Weapon XI follows in an instant using Wraith's teleportation ability. Logan puts forth his best effort, but is pinned down. Just as Weapon XI is about to decapitate him, (at the command of Stryker), Victor later joined to help Logans as he shoves Deadpool away, and both of them fall into the reactor. Victor catches Logan, explaining the only reason he saved him was so he could kill him himself.
Logan and Victor eventually end up back to back with Deadpool teleporting in front of each of them back and forth, eventually they catch him and stab him, but he teleports across the reactor. Victor attacks Deadpool as he fires on Logan with his optic blasts. Logan falls over the edge of the reactor as Victor is caught jumping at Weapon XI and shot back. Logan climbs back onto the reactor and just as Weapon XI is blasting Victor into the ground, Logan runs, jumps and slashes Weapon XI through the neck. Weapon XI holds his neck as Logan kicks him into the nuclear reactor, his head falling off as he tumbles below, with the lasers still firing.
Later on, it was seen that even with his head cut off he was still alive and has his mouth back. He goes "Ssshhhhhh" to the audience (as some sort of a message that him being alive is to be kept a secret and is shown to have broken the fourth wall).
To Be Added...
- Superhuman Reflexes - Wilson's original mutation. He is adept at melee to short ranged combat and even able to deflect bullets. During his battle with Wolverine and Sabretooth, he is able to detect Sabretooth trying to attack him from back, and quickly react by shooting Sabretooth with an optic blast. Also, during his attack at Victor with an optic blast, he detected Wolverine too while Wolverine jumped at him from back (in moments before Wolverine decapitated him).
- Superhuman Strength- Before Wolverine tried to escape at roof of reactor, Weapon XI kicked him with two legs at same time, throwing him few meters away. Either such strength is his own ability, or has been took from another mutant is unknown at this moment.
- Superhuman Agility- Wilson's agility, balance, and body coordination are enhanced to levels that are beyond the natural physical limits of even the finest human athlete. When battling with Wolverine and Sabretooth, Wilson (as Weapon XI) is shown of jumping and making back flip at 3 meters above them (assuming that Wolverine is 1.8 m high and Wilson was at almost twice the height above him).
- Implanted Blades - Wilson had retractable adamantium blades implanted in both his arms.
- Highly Advanced Regeneration - Originally derived from Wolverine. Deadpool possesses a superhuman healing factor, superior to Wolverine's as he is able to survive decapitation. Also, after his head has been cut, his body is still alive and search for decapitated head (which is alive too). Either it is his own ability, or has been used from other mutant is unknown at this time, as nobody in movies yet possesses such ability to live without a head.
- Ageless Immortality - He stays forever young due to his extreme regenerative capabilities.
- Survivability As his mouth has been surgically shut, that implies that Weapon XI does not need to eat food or drink unlike humans and most of mutants.
- Phase-Jumping - Wilson has teleportation from John Wraith. After the decapitation, he lost that power due to experiment being incomplete.
- Optic Blast - Derived from Cyclops, Wilson was able to fire optic blasts from his eyes. After the decapitation, he lost that power due to the experiment being incomplete.
- Technopathy- Derived from Chris Bradley's ability to control electrical/wireless devices and receive electrical/wireless signals, Stryker used this to activate, command, and control Weapon XI.
- Superhuman Reflexes - Wilson's original mutation. He is adept at melee to short ranged combat and even able to deflect bullets.
- Highly Advanced Regeneration - Deadpool possesses a superhuman healing factor, although superior to Wolverine's.
- Ageless Immortality - He stays forever young as well due to his extreme regenerative capabilities.
- Expert Marksman
- Master Martial Artist
- Expert Swordsman
- It was mentioned that his procedure was "incomplete". The bonding process was incomplete because Stryker ordered the activation of Weapon XI before they managed to give more abilities to Weapon XI, as he needed to fight immediately.
- Katana Swords - Deadpool carries two katana swords that are strapped to his back.
- Guns - Deadpool is also armed with two hand guns strapped to his hips.
- Costume -
- In the comics, Deadpool is a mercenary who wears a red and black costume, uses a wide variety of firearms, swords, and knives in battle, uses a small device to teleport, has an unstable healing factor superior to Wolverine's, is mentally insane, and breaks the fourth wall. In X-Men Origins: Wolverine, however, Deadpool's mouth is closed, his only weapons are long swords that come from his wrists, he only wears red pants and black shoes, can naturally teleport, fires Cyclops' optic blasts from his eyes, and shows no signs of insanity. In fact, Wade Wilson before his transformation to Weapon XI shares much more in common with the comics version of Deadpool, such as his mercenary status and comedic nature.
- Weapon XI is mocked in the 2011 video game Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds. If the player plays as Deadpool and beats Wolverine, he says, "And that's how you beat Wolverine, people... AND YOU DON'T EVEN NEED OPTIC BLASTS! MUAHAHAHAHA!" This is a reference to the fact Deadpool can fire Cyclops' optic blasts from his eyes in the film.
- In Deadpool's comic book appearances he is known for breaking the fourth wall, and has even interacted with his writers and tends to speak to the reader.
- Blade: Trinity director David S. Goyer was going to write and directed the film for New Line Cinema with Reynolds as Deadpool.
- In 2011, it was announced that there will be created a Deadpool movie, with Ryan Reynolds as the main character which is aimed for 2014. Producer Lauren Shuler Donner has stated it will be more faithful to the comics, discarding the Weapon XI incarnation seen in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
- In the credits Weapon XI is credited solely for as Scott Adkins, but Reynolds also played the character - he mentioned in an interview of how he managed to speak and drink, when his mouth was being "gone" meaning when he was portraying Weapon XI.
- Along with his extra mutant powers, one of the things Stryker did to Wilson was have his mouth surgically shut, making him the perfect soldier in Stryker's eyes, which is why Weapon XI is shown without a mouth.
- In X-Men: The Official Game, his name appears above a cell door in one of Wolverine's levels, though he doesn't make an appearance.
- The black tattoos Wilson recieves when he becomes Weapon XI in several cases outline the areas where patches of his comic book suit are black.
- The scar tissue and occasional black coloring around Wilson's eyes as Weapon XI, as well as his lack of a mouth, are designed to evoke his comic book mask.
- In Cable & Deadpool #2, page 13, when asked by Cable why a virus that can alter the way people looks, Deadpool answered "Hey, if you looked like Ryan Reynolds crossed with a Shar-Pei, you'd understand". By some twist of fate, Wade was played by Ryan Reynolds in the film.
- Wade Wilson/Weapon XI appears in the X-Men Origins: Wolverine (video game) voiced by Steven Blum (who also voices Wolverine on X-Men Legends games and Wolverine and the X-Men).
- In some theaters' Easter egg endings, Weapon XI's hand is seen reaching for his severed head, and he opens his eyes and breaks the fourth wall (much like most other versions of him do) as by making a noise (a shushing noise to be exact, indicating that his survival is to remain a secret for now).
- Along with his extra mutant powers, one of the things Stryker did to Wilson was have his mouth surgically shut, making him the perfect soldier in Stryker's eyes.
- In the post-credits scene his mouth is partially open. This is probably because of the damage sustained in the fall.
- Two actors portray Wade Wilson in X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Ryan Reynolds portrays the character as a member of Team X, while Scott Adkins portrays the character after he has become Weapon XI.