- “You can stop trying to read my mind, sugar. You're never going to get anything from me while I'm like this.”
- ―Emma Frost to Charles Xaviersrc
Massachusetts Academy the school run by Emma Frost appeared on Stryker's Computer.
During the 1950s, Emma Frost was the mistress of Vinny Lavecchia, a Mafia boss based in Las Vegas, Nevada. Aware of her mutant abilities, Lavecchia used her telepathy in order to advance his career, eventually becoming the youngest boss in Nevada - with a significant influence around the Las Vegas strip.
One evening in 1959, Lavecchia visits the Hellfire Club, a small gambling establishment run by Sebastian Shaw in Las Vegas. Shaw had previously refused to pay Lavecchia insurance/protection money as per Mafia tradition. During a game with Shaw, Lavecchia suspects the former of swindling him, and calls for Emma in order read Shaw's intentions. To her surprise, she discovers that Shaw is a mutant - her first-time encounter with one. When Shaw once again refuses to pay, Lavecchia leaves in anger and quietly orders his men to kill Shaw. Shaw, however, escapes unscathed because of his mutant abilities, and soon makes plans to defeat Lavecchia and rescue Emma.
Back at his home, Lavecchia coerces Emma to reveal everything she gained from reading Shaw's mind in order to defeat him.
After Azazel and Riptide defeat the security detail around Lavecchia's home, Shaw attempts to "rescue" Emma. However, she knocks him out with a psychic concussive blast. Shaw is then taken to a remote warehouse.
At the warehouse, Lavecchia intends to kill Shaw by slowly cutting him into pieces - something that Shaw's kinetic energy absorption can't adapt to. Emma, however, begs that Shaw be dealt a quick death so as not to suffer. As Shaw implores Emma to abandon Lavecchia, the latter begins to physically abuse her. In defence, Emma converts to her diamond form, killing both Lavecchia and his bodyguard Santo in a rage.
Now convinced by Shaw's rhetoric of mutant superiority, Emma becomes associated with him and the Hellfire Club.
By 1962, Emma Frost was a full-fledged member of the Hellfire Club and one of Sebastian Shaw's most trusted allies. When CIA agent Moira MacTaggert was investigating the Hellfire Club in Las Vegas, she infiltrated a function Shaw was hosting disguised as one of Frost's dancers. While there, she witnesses Frost turn into her diamond form, which alerts MacTaggert to the existence of mutants and prompts her to contact Charles Xavier.
When Erik Lehnsherr came to kill Shaw aboard his yacht, she went into his mind, hurting him and then throwing him off the boat. She then escaped with Shaw into the submarine. She is shown Shaw's helmet the Soviets had given him and asks her to read his mind, she says that she can not while he is wearing the helmet. Shaw then tells her she is the most beautiful woman in the world, then says that his drink needs ice.
As Emma feels Xavier's telepathy expand, she looks to see whether he is close by and asks Azazel if there is anything on radar or sonar. After he says no, she tells Shaw about it. Shaw tells her to go to Russia while he takes care of the mutants at the CIA.
While in Russia, she uses her seduction skills to get the Russian General into bed. She then uses her telepathy to make the General believe that he and Emma are groping and kissing one another, with her sexually straddling him on his bed, wearing only her lingerie, but she is really sitting and eating crackers, watching him hugging and kissing the air. Xavier and Lehnsherr barge in and she turns into diamond form. She attempts to escape but Charles and Erik stop her and Erik makes the metal bed hold her. Magneto starts to crack her diamond form but Charles tells him to stop. Under the pressure, her diamond form starts to break but after the release, she goes back to normal form. She then gets sent to the CIA headquarters.
After the death of Shaw, Lehnsherr (now known as Magneto) starts his own team called the Brotherhood of Mutants and invites Emma to join after setting her free. Seeing her remaining Hellfire teammates with Magneto, she accepts.
Erik mentions that Emma Frost, along with Azazel and Angel Salvadore, had been killed in 1963 and blames Charles for their deaths. She was most likely among those experimented on and killed by Trask, since Mystique seeks revenge on Trask and a Sentinel is shown to use her powers.
Powers, Abilities, & Weaknesses
- Enhanced Reflexes - Emma has shown to have exceptionally fast reaction time. She proved capable of catching a magnetically propelled knife thrown by Magneto with ease.
- Organic Diamond Form - Emma possesses the ability to transform her body into a flexible organic diamond form. She can also selectively transform parts of her body into diamond.
- Enhanced Durability - Emma showed capable of catching a knife blade with no damage to herself.
- Enhanced Strength - Her diamond form allows her augmented strength. She is able to send Magneto flying several yards off of the boat with a one handed push.
- Psychic Shield - Emma has shown to be immune to other telepathic powers while in her diamond form.
- Razor Body - Emma's diamond form has the natural sharpness of normal diamond. She could effectively use this ability though her fingers, using them like blades. They proved capable of cutting through ice and glass, leaving a clean cut.
- Regenerative Healing Factor - Emma has shown to have a weak but sufficient healing factor. Even though Emma's diamond form started to crack under the pressure of being constricted by metal bars, all of her injuries disappeared upon returning to human form, though she was forced to catch her breath.
- Telepathy - Emma has displayed the telepathic standards of broadcasting and receiving thoughts, mind-control, and altering perceptions and memories. It appeared she was an even stronger telepath than Charles Xavier at the time. Although Xavier has shown to steadily increase his power, leaving it unknown as to who is the stronger telepath. However, since Xavier has been honing his telepathy over the years, which is now strong enough without the aid of Cerebro, his telepathy is superior to Emma Frost’s.
- Power Detection - Emma can sense other telepath's, and even sense the power and range they posses, and can notice increases or decreases in their power levels. She did this when Charles started using Cerebro.
- Psionic Blasts - Emma can produce telepathic blasts which can induce pain or knock out a person. Magneto suffered great mental pain from Emma's Psionic Blast, whereas Professor X only showed some level of pain or discomfort when trying to enter Emma's mind.
- Telepathic Combat/Telepathic Negation - Emma showed she was highly adept at telepathic combat, easily entering the mind of Charles Xavier and temporarily neutralizing his power. It is unknown if she could perform such a feat on an older, more experienced Charles.
- Telepathic Communication - She is able to speak to the minds of others and was shown communicating with Colonel Hendry. She also showed capable of summoning Azazel with a whistle, the nature of this ability is uncertain. She could also listen to others conversations telepathically, even through one-way, soundproof glass. She also showed capable of reading the minds of other telepaths, most notably Charles Xavier.
- Telepathic Illusion - She can create realistic and powerful illusions which she uses to please the Russian General.
- Truth/Lie Detection - Emma was was able to tell when someone was lying or telling the truth, which she used on Colonel Hendry. She could also discern a persons motives, which she used to tell that Magneto had arrived to kill Sebastian Shaw.
- Genius Intellect - Emma was highly intelligent and well educated. She was highly resiliant and was exceptionally calm, even under stress and interrogation.
- Master Manipulator - Emma was a highly talented manipulator and a master of seduction, which was further enhanced by the nature of her powers.
- Skilled Hand-to-Hand Combatant - Emma showed at least some level of skill in hand to hand combat, demonstrating them against Magneto.
- Limited Durability - While Emma's diamond form has shown great durablility, it is not invulnerable however. She was damaged from being constricted by metal bars, that Magneto contracted around her neck, suggesting Emma has greater durability to blades than to blunt force.
- Limited Strength - Despire the increase strength that Emma's diamond from grants her, she's capable of being overpowered, by at least two people, as both Professor X and Magneto pulled her to the floor in order for Magneto to restrain her with metal bars.
- It was unclear if Emma Silverfox has any possible relation to Emma Frost, who appears in X-Men: First Class. They appear to be two different characters. In a promotional video of X-Men Origins: Wolverine, the character claims that her name is "Emma Frost". However, given that Emma's surname wasn't mentioned in the film, the fact that she's Kayla's younger sister, that her sister's surname is Silverfox, and that Origins takes place in the late 1970s, it can be safely assumed (especially in light of First Class, which takes place in the early 1960s) that the Emma in Origins is definitely not the same Emma in First Class. Additionally, the Emma of First Class has more in common with her comic book counterpart than the Emma of Origins. Another indicator that they are two different characters is that in X-Men: Days of Future Past, Magneto reveals Emma Frost to be dead. It was noted that Emma Silverfox does not exhibit the Emma Frost's traditional telepathic abilities.
- Before January Jones got the part. Alice Eve was originally cast as Emma Frost, but a deal couldn't be reached and Sarah Harding was called back three times for the role of Emma Frost.
- When Bryan Singer was still slated to direct the third installment of the X-Men film series the role of Emma Frost was intended for Sigourney Weaver. After Singer left the project in favor of making Superman Returns, the character was dropped completely.
- In 2006, a movie based on Emma Frost was being considered with director David O. Russell as a potential spin-off from the X-Men movie franchise.
- In the comic books and various animated versions, Emma Frost was depicted with an English accent, but this accent is not present in X-Men: First Class.
- In the comics, she had a much larger role in the X-Universe including: leading her own team The Hellions, being a headmistress of a mutant academy in Massachusetts, becoming a member of the X-Men and having a recurring relationship with Cyclops.