Mutants (also known as Homo Superiors) are people who posses the X-Gene and developed superhuman powers and abilities that most could not control properly or at all or even change their appearance. This gene manifests at puberty during a teen's life, often at times of great emotional stress. According to Pyro, it's been discovered that males (human or mutant) carry the mutant gene and pass it on. As such, female mutants can't pass the gene to their offspring.
The first mutant appeared during ancient Egypt thousands of years ago. James Howlett and Victor Creed whom fought in important wars of American history were the next earliest known mutants. By the time of World War II, mutants became a more widespread phenomenon though humanity at large continued ignorant of their existence.
It was not until 1960's when the existence of mutantkind was revealed during the Cuba Missile Crisis, what orchestrated by Sebastian Shaw who sought to destroy baseline humans so that mutants could rule the Earth, with Shaw as their leader. His plans were thwarted by a group of mutant misfits, whom used their unique gifts to prevent a nuclear war. However their heroic actions exposed mutants to the world in irrevocable ways.
First Extermination Attempt Edit
In 2003 Colonel William Stryker, Jr. sought to rid the world of mutantkind by using a combination of his sonJason and Charles Xavier's powers with Cerebro to mentally kill all mutants in the world. His plan nearly backfired at him and not only nearly caused homo sapiens' extermination but also a full-out war between mutants and humans.
A "Cure" to mutation Edit
The billionaire businessman Warren Worthington II sought to cure his son of his "alignment" and used his corporation to create a mutant cure, using a mutant child as source. The cure was supposed to be used to cure mutants and make them human again but it was also used as a weapon by USA military in case dangerous mutants posed a threat to lives.
Learning of this mutant supremacist Magneto lead an army to the headquarters of Worthington Labs, in San Francisco, to destroy it before it was used to exterminate mutantkind. He was thwarted by the X-Men fortunately
Sentinel takeover Edit
In 1973, the Sentinel Program was used after Bolivar Trask was killed by Mystique. Later on, with her DNA, they create the Sentinel Mark V, a Sentinel that can adapt to it's environment. With these, the Sentinels take over the world, exterminating mutants, those with the mutant gene, and those that supported mutant resistance, thus leaving the worst of mankind left. Few survive. This however was fixed when Wolverine is sent back in time and was able to successfully stop Mystique. Saving all mutants and humans killed by the Sentinels.
- Sebastian Shaw: "We are the children of the atom; radiation gave birth to us. What will kill the humans will only make us stronger."
- Jean Grey: "Ladies and Gentlemen, we are now seeing the beginnings of another stage of human evolution. These mutations manifest at puberty and are often triggered by periods of emotional stress."
- Jean Grey and Professor X: "Mutation: it is the key to our evolution. It is how we have evolved from a single-celled organism into the dominant species on the planet. This process is slow, normally taking thousands and thousands of years. But every few hundred millennia, evolution leaps forward."
- Mystique: "Mutant and Proud"
- Magneto: "Tomorrow, mankind will know that mutants exist. They will fear us, and that fear will turn to hatred."
- Storm: "Neanderthals, we once believed that they were wiped out by years of conflict with a much more advanced branch of humanity called Cro-Magnon, but recent research in to our own DNA suggests that these two species may have inter-bred, evolving into modern humans (asks class) into what? (Class: Us) Us."