For other uses of Shadowcat, see Shadowcat (disambiguation)
|Real Name||Katherine Anne Pryde|
|Birth Place||Illinois, USA|
|Team||X-Men, Free Mutants|
X2: X-Men United
X-Men: The Last Stand
X-Men: Days of Future Past
|Status|| Alive (Original Timeline)|
Alive (Revised Timeline)
|Portrayed by|| Sumela Kay|
- “Too late, assholes!”
Shadowcat (Kitty Pryde) is a young mutant with the ability to phase through objects and project a person back in time.
We see her later on in the movie leaving her lessons when she phases through a door.
When Colonel William Stryker's forces attacked the X-Mansion, Kitty phased through walls and helped the others escape. Later on, Professor X used Kitty to retrieve files from Stryker's office which he presented to the President of the United States.
Kitty joined the X-Men for the first time. She had a slight romantic relationship with Bobby. Rogue soon saw Kitty as a rival for his affection. When Juggernaut went to kill Leech, she ran after him to stop him and saved Leech, bringing him back to the X-Mansion.
As the Sentinels are dispatched to find and kills mutants living underground, they adapt to any situation and change their form. Iceman, Sunspot, Blink and Warpath fight the Sentinels while Kitty and Bishop run off into a closet somewhere. Bishop lays down and Kitty starts massaging his temples, sending his consciousness back in time. As the Sentinels kill the rest of the team and break through the closet, everything fades away, revealing that the past has been changed.
Later, her group moves to a monastery in China where they are found by the rest of the X-Men. Here, Kitty uses her power to send Wolverine back to 1973 to alter the history. During the process, he briefly wakes up and seriously wounds her but was calmed down. Shadowcat manages to maintain the link long enough for Rogue to take over for her after she is rescued from the X-Mansion by Ice Man, Magneto, the Professor X. She is very distressed to find out that Bobby died trying to get Rogue out.
- Phasing/Intangibility - Shadowcat possesses the ability to pass through any matter, known as "phasing", by passing her atoms through the spaces between the atoms of the object of which she is moving through. In this way she and the object can temporarily merge without interacting, and each is unharmed during the process making her all intents and purposes intangible. Hence, when attacked, she can shift into a "phasing" state to allow oncoming danger to pass through her harmlessly. She passes through objects at the same rate of speed at which she is moving. She is also able to allow all targets she made physical contact with beforehand, living or otherwise, allowing the targets to safely phase along with her.
- Chronoskimming - Sometime after mastering her powers, Shadowcat developed the ability to separate her consciousness from her body and send it back/forward in time into a direct ancestor/descendant or even her younger self. Alternatively, she can use this ability on another person. If using this ability on someone else, Shadowcat must keep physical contact with the target to maintain his/her connection with the separate point of time. A limitation to this ability is that the further the jump through time, the more strenuous the process will be on the person's mind. Even for a powerful mind, Kitty cannot safely send one further than one month in time without fear of potentially destroying the target's mind. Only one with powerful healing abilities can bypass this limit. Once arriving at the chosen point of time, the target must remain calm or the connection can be severed. Any changes in time will not take affect until the connection is severed, to which the target's consciousness will return to the same point of time the travel first took place. Only the target will remember the original events of time while also having no personal memory of the altered timeline.
- In the first and second X-Men movies, she is minor character portrayed by different actresses. However, in the third movie, she is incorporated as a main character and is portrayed by Ellen Page, who once again is a different actress for Shadowcat.
- While she possesses the ability to send people back in time, she never actually remembers the original timeline she sent them from. She tells Wolverine this herself, explaining that only he will remember the changes he makes when he finishes changing the past.
- Shadowcat's powers saved Bishop's Free Mutants group an untold number of times by projecting Bishop four days into the past to allow the Free Mutants to escape Sentinel attacks. However, her teammates presumably die protecting her during attacks.
- Shadowcat proved vital in saving the world in Days of Future Past, as her powers were used to facilitate Wolverine's time travel.
- Given her and Iceman's closeness in the original timeline by the time of Days of Future Past, they may have been in a romantic relationship. However, if this was so, it was one of the things changed by Wolverine, since the new timeline shows Iceman and Rogue together.