- “It lives up to the hype. Plus plus."
"Fuck it. They probably won't even make a three."
"Yeah, why would they? Stop at two. You killed it.”
- ―Wade Wilson and Weaselsrc
Deadpool 2 is the upcoming sequel to Deadpool and the second film in the Deadpool trilogy, as well as the eleventh installment in the X-Men film series. It is projected to release worldwide on May 18, 2018.
To be added
To be added
- Ryan Reynolds as Wade Wilson/Deadpool
- Josh Brolin as Nathan Summers/Cable
- Zazie Beetz as Neena Thurman/Domino
- Brianna Hildebrand as Ellie Phimister/Negasonic Teenage Warhead
- Stefan Kapicic as Piotr Rasputin/Colossus (voice)
- Karan Soni as Dopinder
- Leslie Uggams as Blind Al
- Morena Baccarin as Vanessa Carlysle
- T.J. Miller as Weasel
- Jack Kesy as Black Tom Cassidy
- Terry Crews as Bedlam
- Lewis Tan as Shatterstar
- Rob Delaney as Peter
- Shioli Kutsuna as Unknown Character
- Julian Dennison as Russell
- Eddie Marsan as Unknown Character
In September 2015, producer Simon Kinberg said that a sequel for Deadpool is in development. In February 2016, Ryan Reynolds told IGN that he would like to portray his character for the rest of his life. Also, during the same month, the film was greenlit three days before the first film's release, and Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick already signed on to return, and while director Tim Miller isn't attached just yet, Fox is hoping to bring him back in order to reunite the creative team who have made this first film.
Ryan Reynolds has expressed interest in Deadpool having a boyfriend saying "I love that about Deadpool. I love that he can break any boundary. In the future, I hope we get to do that more...I certainly wouldn’t be the guy standing in the way of that. That would be great."
In June 2016, Kinberg said that a completed draft from Wernick and Rheese was expected "soon", and that they were looking to begin filming the sequel at the beginning of 2017. By August, Kyle Chandler was believed to be in the running to portray Cable. Testing of actresses for Domino had also begun by October, with the shortlist of actresses under consideration including Lizzy Caplan, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Sienna Miller, Sofia Boutella, Stephanie Sigman, Sylvia Hoeks, Mackenzie Davis, Ruby Rose, Eve Hewson, and Kelly Rohrbach. The producers were particularly interested in casting a black or Latina actress in the role.
In October 2016, Miller was no longer part of the sequel due to creative differences with Reynolds over the casting of Cable and the film's direction, either a raunchy comedy or a stylized superhero movie. The rift between the pair was reportedly based on several factors, including Reynolds' expanded creative control over the sequel; Miller's wish for a more stylized follow-up than the first film, versus Reynolds' focus "on the raunchy comedy style that earned the first movie its R rating"; and Miller's intention to cast Chandler as Cable, which Reynolds opposed. Fox ultimately backed "its marketable star" over Miller, who had made his directorial debut with the first film. Miller denied these reported reasons, while Reynolds said, "All I can really add is that I'm sad to see him off the film. Tim's brilliant and nobody worked harder on Deadpool than he did". A week after Miller's departure, Fox was looking at David Leitch, Drew Goddard, Magnus Martens, and Rupert Sanders as potential replacements for the director. Leitch was the "strong frontrunner" for the role, and signed on to direct a month later. Reynolds, a fan of Leitch's John Wick, said the director "really understands those Deadpool sensibilities and where we need to take the franchise from here." He added that Leitch "can make a movie on an ultra tight minimal budget look like it was shot for 10–15 times what it cost.
Despite the initial release date of January 12, 2018, it was then reported that Deadpool 2 was pushed to back to March 2, 2018.
In November 2016, The Hollywood Reporter announced that Leitch will direct the sequel.
Reese and Wernick had completed multiple drafts of the script by January 2017, and "It’s taken different twists and turns, but it’s really coalescing"; the film was still on track to begin filming that year. The pair felt a responsibility to explore the team X-Force, which includes Deadpool, Cable, and Domino in the comics, with Reese saying the sequel's purpose "is not to set up X-Force [but] it will likely set up X-Force. He did clarify that though the film will be "populated with a lot of characters...it is still Deadpool's movie". The pair confirmed that Stefan Kapicic's Colossus, Brianna Hildebrand's Negasonic Teenage Warhead, and Karan Soni's Dopinder would be returning from the first film to "make at least an appearance", and that the film would not be exploring the details of Cable's convoluted comic origins.
By February, it had been noted that there had been few announcements from Fox regarding the film, and that a release date had not yet been set which was seen as unusual for sequels to popular films (often studios "announce sequels far too soon and with no idea what will happen"), with the issue deemed to be the film's script. Reynolds, Reese, and Wernick had been "bunkered down, working on the script together, trying to cross the finish line and create something everyone is excited to make", and now Goddard was joining the project to consult on the script.
By the beginning of March, Michael Shannon had been in the running to portray Cable, but no longer could due to a scheduling conflict. David Harbour had screen-tested for the role, and Pierce Brosnan was believed to be in negotiations for a part in the film, potentially Cable. Reynolds announced shortly after that Zazie Beetz had been cast as Domino. Later on in the month, Shannon was in the running to portray Cable again, and was considered the frontrunner, with Fox also looking at a shortlist of other actors that included Harbour. Brad Pitt had also been considered for the role, and expressed interest in taking it on, but had "moved on". Leitch soon addressed the potential casting of these actors, saying Shannon "would make an incredible Cable...If that happens, I would be through the roof"; and on Pitt, "We had a great meeting with Brad, he was incredibly interested in the property. Things didn't work out schedule-wise. He's a fan, and we love him, and I think he would've made an amazing Cable". At the end of March, Morena Baccarin confirmed her return from the first film as Vanessa Carlysle, and expressed interest in exploring the character's Copycat persona from the comics in the sequel.
Josh Brolin emerged as a "surprise contender" to play Cable in April, ahead of Shannon and Harbour, and was officially cast in the role. Leslie Uggams confirmed that she would be reprising her role of Blind Al from the first film, while Fox gave the sequel a June 1, 2018 release date.
In May, Fox was reportedly looking to use a post-credits scene at the end of Deadpool 2 to introduce several other members of X-Force who would go on to star alongside Reynolds, Brolin, and Beetz in an X-Force film. Casting for the characters-Sunspot, Feral, and Shatterstar-would take place over the coming months, though Reese denied the accuracy of this report. Later on in the month, T.J. Miller confirmed that he would return from the first film as Weasel, and described the sequel as "even more weaselicious" than the first. He noted that Reynolds and the writers had "really put the time in on the script" to meet their own expectations for the sequel as well as those of fans. Jack Kesy also joined the cast, as Black Tom Cassidy.
In June, Shioli Kutsuna was cast in a key role for the film. Initial filming began on June 17, 2017, at Hatley Castle in Canada, which is used to portray the X-Mansion in the X-Men films. Principal photography began in Vancouver on June 26, under the working title Love Machine, with Jonathan Sela serving as cinematographer for the film. At the end of the month, Ryan Reynolds revealed that Julian Dennison was an additional cast member for the film.
The next month, July, T.J. Miller said that he found the sequel to be funnier than the first film, and that "it’s not going to be the same movie in a different location [like The Hangover Part II]. It’s got different stakes, different things happen, some pretty tragic, dark shit happens in the first part of the film, in the beginning, and the rest of the film is kind of dealing with that". By then, Kapičić had been working with Leitch on the set, and expected to continue contributing to Colossus through to April 2018.
On August 14, during filming, stunt woman Joi "SJ" Harris died in a motorcycle accident after losing control and crashing into Shaw Tower. Harris , the first African-American female professional road racer, was working on the film as a stunt performer for the first time and had only joined the production a week before. Harris was not wearing a helmet because the character she was portraying, Domino, does not wear one in the scene, and there had not been time since she joined the film to create one for her to fit underneath the Domino wig. She had two full days of rehearsing the stunt as well as five more attempts on the day of the accident. Veteran stunt double Melissa Stubbs had been available and willing to do the stunt, but the inexperienced Harris was preferred due to her skin color being a match for Beetz. This decision was criticized by multiple stunt professionals, with many noting that Harris's experiences racing motorcycles did not necessarily qualify her as an able stunt performer. Production on the film was shut down immediately after the incident, but resumed two days later. With this news also came reports that the film's crew were "enduring very long hours" and were "exhausted by the schedule", with a member of the studio confirming that some days had gone beyond the scheduled 12–13 hours filming, up to 15–plus–hours.
At the end of August, Eddie Marsan revealed that he was on set for a role in the film. Filming in Vancouver was expected to last in Vancouver until October 6, with production on Deadpool 2 being officially completed on October 14.
The first teaser poster, which pays homage to Norman Rockwell's 1943 painting Freedom from Want, was released in November. Justin Carter of Comic Book Resources found it "oddly appropriate for Deadpool 2 to co-opt [this] iconic work for a modern pop culture audience" as it is "true to Deadpool's incredibly referential nature." Diaz of Nerdist said, "It strikes exactly the irreverent tone you'd expect for the Deadpool sequel". Fox revealed on November 15, that the film was technically untitled at that point, and not officially known as Deadpool 2 as had been assumed; the studio was temporarily referring to the film as "Untitled Deadpool Sequel". On the same day, a teaser trailer for the film was officially released, with the trailer also paying tribute artist Bob Ross. After the trailer was released, Stefan Kapicic revealed to The Hollywood Reporter that Negasonic Teenage Warhead is now a full-fledged member of the X-Men, as described in his statement "She's progressing, as you can see. She is not my trainee anymore".
In early-mid December, a second teaser poster teased a name, "The Second Coming". The poster itself was a parody of Michelangelo’s "The Creation of Adam" painting, with Deadpool portraying Adam, and Cable portraying God.
On January 11, 2018, the film was moved up to May 18, 2018, two weeks before it’s initial release date: June 1, 2018. Towards the end of January, Collider reported that the first official trailer for Deadpool 2 will be playing in theaters attached to Marvel Studios’ Black Panther, which hits theaters on February 16th. Additionally, Fox plans to release the Deadpool 2 trailer online on Valentine’s Day.
In February, during the week of the Super Bowl, a new trailer for the film was released later that week, focusing on introducing Cable. Terry Crews was revealed to have a role in the film, the character Shatterstar was confirmed to be appearing, and the production returned to Vancouver for six days of reshoots under a new working title, Daisy.
At the beginning of March, the Deadpool 2 standees that were on display at movie theaters hinted at the film's potential title. While some reports emerged by mid-March claiming that the reshoots were due to poor audience responses during test screenings of the film, and consisted of sweeping changes, the film was soon confirmed to be testing better than the original did, up to 98 out of 100 over three different tests (compared to a maximum score of 91 during tests of the first film). Because of this, the reshoots were adding more of the elements that audiences responded positively to, including additional material featuring Cable and Domino. By the end of the month, two hours-worth of filming had taken place in Los Angeles for a then-secret cameo appearance, and the film's first full trailer was released on March 22. Officially titling the film Deadpool 2, the trailer also revealed that Crews was portraying Bedlam; that Rob Delaney was in the film, portraying Peter; and that Bill Skarsgård also had a role. At the end of the month, it was confirmed that Lewis Tan will be portraying Shatterstar. The mutant, Zeitgeist was revealed to be one of the characters featured in the film as part of the X-force. Following the release of the new Deadpool 2 trailer, it has been heavily speculated that Julian Dennison will be portraying the mutant Rusty Collins, aka Firefist.
- ↑ ‘DEADPOOL 2’ LOSES DIRECTOR BUT (MAYBE) FINDS A BETTER ONE (UPDATED)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Deadpool Writers Confirm Negasonic for DP2
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Deadpool Writers Confirm Colossus for DP2
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Deadpool Writers Confirm Dopinder for DP2
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 
- ↑ What Morena Baccarin Really Wants To See Happen In Deadpool 2
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 T.J. Miller Promises More Weasel in Deadpool 2 | EXCLUSIVE
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Colossus Actor Reveals 'Deadpool 2' Trailer Secrets, Confirms New Mutants
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 'Deadpool 2': Lewis Tan of 'Iron Fist' Playing Shatterstar
- ↑ 'Deadpool 2' Trailer: Who Is Peter?
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 'Deadpool 2' Adds Actress Shioli Kutsuna In A Key Role
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Ryan Reynolds Makes New Deadpool 2 Casting Announcement On Instagram
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 
- ↑ A ‘Deadpool’ Sequel Might Already Be In The Works
- ↑ RYAN REYNOLDS WANTS TO PLAY DEADPOOL FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE
- ↑ How Far Is Ryan Reynolds Willing to Go as Deadpool?
- ↑ 'Deadpool' Sequel Already in the Works
- ↑ Ryan Reynolds Hopes Deadpool Has a Boyfriend in ‘Deadpool 2’
- ↑ Simon Kinberg on ‘Deadpool 2’: Says They Hope to Start Filming Early Next Year
- ↑ 
- ↑ Exclusive: ‘Deadpool 2’ Domino Shortlist Includes Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Ruby Rose UPDATED
- ↑ Deadpool Sequel following the release of 'Wolverine 3'
- ↑ Director Tim Miller, Ryan Reynolds Part Company On ‘Deadpool 2’
- ↑ ‘Deadpool 2’ Drama: Here’s What Ryan Reynolds and Director Tim Miller Clashed Over (Exclusive)
- ↑ ‘Deadpool 2’: Tim Miller Speaks Out About Leaving the Sequel
- ↑ Ryan Reynolds Explains Why Deadpool Nearly Gave Him a Nervous Breakdown
- ↑ ‘Deadpool 2’ Director Search Ongoing, But No Offers Yet
- ↑ It's Official: 'John Wick' Director David Leitch to Helm 'Deadpool 2'
- ↑ Exclusive: 'John Wick's' David Leitch is the frontrunner to direct 'Deadpool 2'
- ↑ Ryan Reynolds on Deadpool 2 and new director David Leitch
- ↑ 
- ↑ It's Official: 'John Wick' Director David Leitch to Helm 'Deadpool 2'
- ↑ ‘Deadpool’ Scribes Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick On This Awards Season’s Biggest Surprise Candidate
- ↑ ‘Deadpool 2’ Writers on Laying the Foundation for ‘X-Force’
- ↑ Exclusive: Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead Will Return in ‘Deadpool 2’
- ↑ DEADPOOL 2 Exclusive: Dopinder is Coming Back For the Sequel!
- ↑ ‘Deadpool 2’ Writers Explain How They’ll Handle Cable’s Convoluted Origin
- ↑ Exclusive: Drew Goddard Is Working on the ‘Deadpool 2’ Script Updated
- ↑ ‘Deadpool 2’: ‘Stranger Things’ Star David Harbour in the Mix for Cable
- ↑ ‘Stranger Things’ Star David Harbour Eyed to Play Cable in ‘Deadpool 2’ (Exclusive)
- ↑ 
- ↑ 'Deadpool 2' Casts 'Atlanta' Breakout Zazie Beetz as Domino
- ↑ 'Deadpool 2': Michael Shannon Frontrunner to Play Cable (Exclusive)
- ↑ Exclusive: Brad Pitt Considered Playing Cable in ‘Deadpool 2’
- ↑ Deadpool 2: Brad Pitt Officially Out Of The Running For Cable Role
- ↑ Josh Brolin to Play Cable in 'Deadpool 2' (Exclusive)
- ↑ Exclusive: Leslie Uggams To Return In Deadpool 2
- ↑ 'Deadpool 2' Lands June 2018 Release Date
- ↑ Deadpool 2 Reportedly Casting Three X-Force Characters Updated
- ↑ Deadpool 2 Filming X-Mansion Scenes with Reynolds in Victoria, BC
- ↑ Deadpool 2 Working Title Revealed
- ↑ 
- ↑ T.J. Miller’s Promises That Deadpool 2 Isn’t a Hangover 2-Style Sequel
- ↑ 'Deadpool 2'Star Really wants To Tell You The Plot
- ↑ ‘Deadpool 2’ Stunt Crash Victim ID’d As First African-American Female Pro Road Racer; Director & Fox “Deeply Saddened”
- ↑ 'Deadpool 2' Motorcycle Death Leaves Stunt Community Asking Tough Questions
- ↑ ‘Deadpool 2’ To Restart Production 48 Hours After Stunt Driver Killed
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ Deadpool 2: Wade & Cable Stuff The Bird on Sequel’s First Poster
- ↑ DEADPOOL 2 POSTER GETS IN THE HOLIDAY SPIRIT
- ↑ Deadpool Sequel May Not Be Titled ‘Deadpool 2’
- ↑ 'Deadpool 2' Teaser Trailer Finds Ryan Reynolds Weirdly Paying Tribute to Artist Bob Ross: WATCH
- ↑ Negasonic Teenage Warhead No Longer Colossus's Trainee In 'Deadpool 2'
- ↑ Deadpool 2: A 'Second Coming' Poster Arrives
- ↑ New ‘Deadpool 2’ Art Teases the Second Coming with Cable
- ↑ NEW 'DEADPOOL 2' POSTER MIGHT REVEAL THE OFFICIAL TITLE AND DETAILS ABOUT THE PLOT
- ↑ ‘Deadpool 2’ to Hit Theaters Early, But ‘New Mutants’ Delayed to 2019
- ↑ 'X-Men' Shake-Up: 'Deadpool 2,' 'Gambit,' 'The New Mutants' Get New Dates (Exclusive)
- ↑ Exclusive: We Know When You’ll See the ‘Deadpool 2’ Trailer
- ↑ Here’s Cable! ‘Deadpool 2’ Teaser Offers a First Look at the Josh Brolin Villain
- ↑ 'Deadpool 2' Heading Back To Vancouver For Reshoots Under The Working Title 'Daisy'
- ↑ Deadpool 2 Display Seemingly Confirms The Sequel’s Title
- ↑ Deadpool 2 Standee Confirms Official Title?
- ↑ Deadpool 2': Here's What They Added in Reshoots
- ↑ Wolverine? Stan Lee? Deadpool 2 has a "secret cameo" – who might it be?
- ↑ Deadpool 2: 9 Most Likely Secret Cameos
- ↑ Four possible cameos in Deadpool 2
- ↑ Deadpool 2 has a secret cameo – but who could it be?
- ↑ Deadpool 2|The Trailer
- ↑ 'Deadpool 2': All the X-Men Characters Featured in the New Trailer
- ↑ 'Deadpool 2' Trailer Breakdown: What the F*cksicle Is This?
- ↑ Meet The RedHot Actor Playing A Ass-Kicking Mutant In "Deadpool 2"
- ↑ Deadpool 2: X-Force Cast Revealed
- ↑ Deadpool 2: Here are the mutants (and their powers) that make up the X-Force
- ↑ Julian Dennison’s ‘Deadpool 2’ Character May Have Been Revealed
- ↑ Mystery Deadpool 2 Character Is an Old School X-Men Mutant?
- ↑ New ‘Deadpool 2’ TV Spot May Tell Us Who Julian Dennison is Playing
- ↑ Dennison’s ‘Deadpool 2’ Character May Have Been Revealed
|X-Men film series|