Major William Stryker
Colonel William Stryker
|Movie|| X2: X-Men United|
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
X-Men: Days of Future Past
|Comic||X2: X-Men United: The Movie Prequel: Nightcrawler|
|Actor|| Brian Cox|
- “Mutants, I don't hate them. I just know what they can do. You don't realize this but we are at war. I took an oath: Protect this country. My name is William Stryker, and I am not a monster. I'm simply a patriot.”
- ―William StrykerX-Men Origins: Wolverine
William Stryker was a covert operations specialist and military scientist. Known for his anti-mutant stance, he worked tirelessly over several decades to develop solutions to what he saw as the "mutant problem".
To Be Added
In 1975, William Stryker came up to Logan and Victor to recruit them into his team of mutants - Team X. He then led the team over the next couple of years on various covert missions to find the metallic compound known as adamantium. Stryker finally found the adamantium he sought while on a mission in Nigeria. Team X later disbanded, after a disagreement between Logan and the team and only Agent Zero and Victor stayed on with him.
Over the next eight years following Team X's disbandment, Stryker made Agent Zero and Victor his henchmen in order to abduct mutants for his upcoming Weapon X project - Weapon XI. Stryker recruited Logan into becoming Weapon X (the tenth project of the Weapon X program), making him virtually indestuctible by grafting adamantium onto his entire skeletal structure. After the process was successful, he ordered Logan's memory to be wiped to protect the location of the Alkali Lake facility. This prompted Logan to escape, and Stryker ordered Zero on a failed mission to kill Logan.
While on his Three Mile Island facility, Stryker killed General Munson, his major military and financial sponsor, because the latter had threatened to end the Weapon X program due to Stryker's extreme personal vendetta against mutants, caused by his experiences with his son.
After Weapon XI failed to kill off Wolverine, and after his mutant prisoners had escaped, Stryker shot Wolverine twice in the head with adamantium bullets, causing the latter lose his memory. Before he could shoot Kayla, she used her tactile hypnosis to make him drop the gun and walk until his feet bled. He was later approached by military police, who wanted to question him about General Munson's death.
To Be AddedEdit
Years later, Stryker wanted mutants to appear as a threat to humans. By this time, his assistant and bodyguard is Yuriko. He brainwashes Kurt Wagner into assassinating the President. Using the recent assassination attempt as leverage, he convinces the President to authorize an infiltration of the Xavier Institute, lying about his intentions. Just before the infiltration, he learns more about Cerebro from Magneto - who was being held as a federal criminal in a plastic prison (designed by Stryker). Magneto did not give the information willingly; he had to be brainwashed like Wagner.
During the evening, Stryker and HYDRA forces invade the Mansion. While there, he captures several students (though most flee), and briefly meets up with Wolverine - the man he had worked with, experimented on, and severely injured years earlier. He then orders Yuriko to infiltrate the prison and capture Charles Xavier, also capturing Cyclops in the process. He will brainwash Cyclops in the same manner he had Yuriko, Wagner, and Magneto. Before leaving, Stryker and HYDRA troops infiltrate the Mansion's subbasement in order to extract more information about Cerebro.
At the Alkali Lake facility (the underground portion of which he still used following the abandonmet and destruction of the main level), he reveals to Xavier that he was able to brainwash the mutants by extracting fluid from his son Jason's brain and injecting it into the back of their necks. He then puts his plan into action, having Jason control Xavier to use the Dark Cerebro he built and use his powers to concentrate intensely on all the world's mutants - which would kill them. Magneto and Mystique later foil these plans and "reprogram" Jason to manipulate Xavier to find and kill all of the world's humans instead.
While trying to flee the area, Stryker is confronted by Wolverine, with the former briefly tempting the latter to come with him so that the he could learn more about his forgotten past. However, Wolverine refuses and decides to return to the dam to save his teammates, but before he does, he chains Stryker to the leg of a helicopter.
After Dark Cerebro is reprogrammed, Stryker is shown to be in the same pain as every other human.
Later on, Magneto ties Styker to a concrete wall with the metal chain, using the helicopter as an escape vehicle and leaving Stryker there to die. As the Alkali Lake dam ruptures, Stryker is killed by the immense water pressure released by the dam. Wolverine and a mutant child named Artie were the last two people to see Stryker alive.
- William Stryker Sr. - Father
- Jason Stryker - Son
- Deadpool - Former Teammate and Experiment
- Wolverine - Experiment and Enemy
- Lady Deathstrike - Experiment and Former Bodyguard
- Victor Creed - Former Bodyguard
- Agent Zero - Former Bodyguard
- Chris Bradley - Former Teammate
- Blob - Former Teammate
- John Wraith - Former Teammate
- Stryker is one of only two people who can see through Mystique's disguise, the other being Wolverine. He sees through it when Mystique is imitating Wolverine. He states that "if there's one thing I know, it's his own creation", and correctly assumes that Mystique is a shape-shifting impostor.
- Unlike the comics version (who is a reverend that believes God told him to kill mutants), this William Stryker is a military officer.
- William Stryker is the second-most reccuring villain in the X-Men film series, right after Magneto. Unlike Magneto (who sees what he's doing as a good thing), Stryker actually tries to do evil things.
- In spite of his hatred for mutants, he uses them as bodyguards. Examples are his formation of Team X, his creation of Deadpool, his control over Lady Deathstrike and the fact that he decided not to kill his son for being a mentally-ill mutant and for killing his wife. Stryker even said to Munson "No, I don't hate them [mutants]."
- X-Men: Days of Future Past will explore Stryker's military history. Some have thought that he will be another major antagonist. If this is true, he will truly be a reccuring villain, appearing in 3 movies as a major antagonist.
- X-Men: Days of Future Past is the only movie in the X-Men film series where William stryker appears as NOT the main antagonist. He has previously been the main antagonist of X2: X-Men United and X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
- His father, William Stryker Sr., has a minor role in X-Men: First Class. Stryker himself is mentioned by Xavier.
- Stryker has so far not appeared in any non-prequel movies ever since X2 (because of his death in a flood when the Alkali Lake dam blew up). It's unknown if he'll ever appear in any other future movies.